Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Feelfree Lure 11.5 initial thoughts



Hi all ....
Dave Fowler here from The Headwaters Fishing Team with my review of the new FeelFree lure 11.5. 

With the weight of this kayak at around 75lbs the wheel in the keel is a great design. It rolls great on flat ground back and forth to the launch ramp with no problem, however if you had a long walk to a remote launch you might want to bring some regular kayak wheels. I was able to take the Lure out this past weekend to Lodi Lake with a good breeze on the water. I caught a break in between storms which was perfect, so I headed straight out to the main body of the lake and with a chop on the water this boat did great it cut right through. The boat tracked surprisingly well and the bow offered a very dry ride lifting and rising over the chop. I was thinking there was going to be a bit of a drag with some off tracking due to the wheel in the keel design, but I was wrong! The Lure 11.5 cruises right along with very little yaw. One option that I would consider for the lure is the rudder set up just to keep yourself on a nice angle to drift along those banks on windy days.




I started out the day with the FeelFree gravity seat in the low position. With one hand I was able to pick the seat up and raise it to any level. The seat has some crazy adjustment. Something like 10 different levels that is can be adjusted to. I was also able to raise and lower the seat with one hand. Right up to the highest position and had no worries of feeling tippy with a higher center of gravity. At 36in wide this boat is super stable I was able to turn myself around while standing to access some gear in the back without falling in the drink or having to grab the rails to regain balance. The lure has a padded deck for standing and feels fabulous on the feet after standing on its platform for some time.The lure also comes stock with uni-track that runs down the rails on both sides of the yak from the center hatch to about the seat. It also comes with a set of tracks in the back with a convenient tie down that allows you to securely hold a small cooler or tackle box.



This is a great boat with a lot of options. The unique uni-bar that hooks securely on to the tracks that allows you to hook up anything from a fish finder to rod holders or whatever else your heart desires. A feature we added on to this lure is a stand up bar, but with the stability of the lure11.5 I found myself not really utilizing it too much. 

I do believe this boat is going to make a big splash in the kayak fishing world and its a great addition to the FeeLFree line of kayaks. You will see me on this ride again! Thank you for taking the time to read my review of the FeelFree lure 11.5. I hope I was helpful in adding some insight on this kayak and to how well it handles. Now its your turn to get into The Headwaters and try it out for yourself! I guarantee you will not be disappointed. 

David Fowler Headwaters Team Paddler: 
Currently paddles a Jackson Cuda 12. 



Rigged up and ready to go. 

Low Seat

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    I was excited to finally see a review of the Lure being that there's so few out there at this point and your thoughts on the boat are appreciated. Is there any chance of a Lure 10 review in the near future? I'm considering one but I don't live close enough to any dealers that demo so I'd be buying the boat blind.

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be doing a Lure 10 review soon. For flat water paddling the Lure is a nicer craft for sure. For Rivers the 10 is the best. Dare I even say better than our beloved Coosa? Coosa is better for white water, but man that Lure handles so nice, and the stand up area is perfect.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the info. I'm in the same boat as Kevin. Unable to demo. Can you compare Lure tracking/speed with Predator MX or Slayer 12?

    Thanks!
    Chip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't much experiance with the Slayer 12, but we do have the Lure 11.5 and Predator MX. The MX is a river boat dispite what anyone else says. ITs slow the tracking is poor, but it offers a really sporty ride in the rivers, but paddling this thing in flat water is a slug. The Lure has a much sharper entry and deep grooves in the hull which allows it to track much better on flat water. It still works good in current. The seat and standing platform on the Lure are head and shoulders above any other kayak brand we've seen. We do sell the Slayer Propel and I will say the build quality on that kayak is stellar. The stand up area is also very solid on the propel. If you guys dont have any local dealers please call the Headwaters shop and talk to Dan or Bam. They are both serious anglers that know their stuff and will give you a wealth of information. 209-224-8367 or headwaterskayak.com

      Delete
    2. Great information Dave. Thanks for taking the time!
      Chip

      Delete
  3. Dave,

    Thanks for the review. I have the Lure 11.5 on my short list of kayaks for an upgrade. My little SOT was great for an introduction to kayak fishing but now it's time to get serious.

    The only other kayak I have stood on is the Jackson Cuda 12, I notice that you currently paddle a Cuda 12. Does the Lure 11.5 track as well and is as stable as the Cuda 12?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get the stand assist bar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok am from saudiarabia i like to buy fishing kayak so you can send to me price list to my email majed_rod@hotmail.com
    Regards

    ReplyDelete