Thursday, December 15, 2016

Winter Jigging for Bluegill By Matthew Guthrie

 On December 11th and 12th I got the chance to head out to Village West Marina in Stockton. I originally went out to catch bass and striper but they didn't want to cooperate, so I went in the marina and started looking for crappie or anything else that would bite. I started seing clouds of fish on my fishfinder and proceeded to drop my lure right on their heads. They didn't seem to like the crappie jigs or my little trout worms so I started jigging my kastmaster and immediately hooked up with a nice bluegill. I couldn't keep them off it!
Average to large sunfish on a golden kastmaster
 I was using a 1/16 oz kastmaster to tempt the feisty fish in about 10ft of water. I started with a gold color, witch they ate, but I switched to a silver and chartreuse and started catching a lot more fish. Jigging it up and down worked really well, but I also found that if I got a bite and missed it, to just drift with it and the slow flutter drove them crazy. The average size of these fish were between 6 and 8in with some of the bigger ones pushing 11. There are no shortage of these fish in the marinas.

These little fish are a ton of fun when everything else has stopped feeding from the cold. So pick up some small shiny lures and hang on, Bluegill put a awesome bend into an ultralight rod and when you are fishing little baits like this you never know what you might hook into. Hope this puts some fun into your winter, Happy Fishing!





No comments:

Post a Comment